These tools can be attached to your sun visor or ticket book. They provide easy access to key referral tips when encountering an older driver that may need a medical referral or when you are providing assistance to a family member.
Examples of current state quick reference guides include:
- International Association of Chiefs of Police has a pocket card that lists the 10 warning signs a driver may have Alzheimer’s Disease and 10 steps on how to interact with someone that may have Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Florida’s Driver Medical Referral Visor Card, which mentions observations and indicators to look for in a potential medical condition that affects safe driving.
- Maryland’s Red Flag Tip Card encourages officers to make a referral if the behavior they observe raises any red flags about a potential medical condition that affects safe driving.
Create your own department's quick reference guide:
As an officer, you will need to take steps to properly know how and when an older driver needs a referral due to medical issues. Each state and county may have different resources. Use our template to create your own visor guide, which can be customized to your department’s needs and process. Customized law enforcement referral tools include:
- Medical indicators
- DOSCI tool
- Editable referral process
- Editable community resources
- Areas to personalize and add your department or community logos