Quick reference guides or visor cards you can attach to your sun visor or ticket book provide easy access to key referral tips when encountering an older driver that may need a medical referral or providing assistance to a family member.
Examples of current state quick reference guides include:
- Florida’s Driver Medical Referral Visor Card which mentions the observations and indicators and what to look for in a potential medical condition that affects safe driving.
- Maryland’s Red Flag Tip Card encourages officers to make a referral if the behavior they observe raises any Red Flags about a potential medical condition that affects safe driving.
- International Association of Chiefs of Police has a pocket card on the ten warning signs a driver may have with Alzheimer’s Disease and ten steps on how to interact with someone that may have Alzheimer’s Disease.
Create your own department's quick reference guide:
As an officer you will need to take the steps to properly know how and when an older driver needs a referral due to medical issues being present. Each state and county have different resources. Use our template to create your own visor guide and customize to your departments needs and process. Customized Law Enforcement Referral Tools include:
- Medical Indicators
- DOSCI Tool
- Editable referral process
- Editable community resources
- Areas to personalize and add your department/community’s logos