Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) Webinar: New Strategies for Achieving 100% Seat Belt Use, July 13, 2:00 p.m. ET – The nationwide seat belt use rate was 90.4% in 2021. What is it going to take to get that remaining 9.6% of motor vehicle occupants to buckle up, especially as new National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) data indicate that unrestrained vehicle occupant fatalities increased 3% last year and remain above pre-pandemic levels? Innovative occupant protection programs are needed to address this pervasive issue and make sure everyone is properly restrained in a seat belt or child safety seat. In the second pre-GHSA 2022 Annual Meeting webinar, sponsored by the Auto Glass Safety Council, after hearing about the role windshields play in occupant protection, join experts from public health, community organizations, the private sector and law enforcement to learn what approaches they’re taking to improve the safety of vehicle occupants.
Register here >>
The Role of Traffic Safety Culture in Addressing Roadway Fatalities. July 20, 1:30 p.m. ET- It will take decisive action to address the 42,915 deaths we saw on our streets last year. It will also take a shift in our culture that currently accepts those deaths and a shift in a shift in how we communicate about traffic safety and prioritize it in our work as transportation stakeholders. This 90-minute webinar will explore knowledge of the role traffic safety culture plays in addressing fatalities, examine current research including that around fear-based messaging vs. positive messaging, knowledge, and provide examples of promising practices around developing a positive traffic safety culture. Attendees will learn of the role traffic safety culture plays in addressing traffic safety through messaging and implementation, and ways that practitioners can begin improving their own work to create a society where zero is the only acceptable number of deaths on our streets.
Dangerous By Design 2022. July 28, 3-4 p.m. ET- Dangerous By Design 2022 provides the most up-to-date look at the preventable epidemic of people struck and killed while walking. The report ranks the most dangerous states and metro areas in the United States based on traffic fatalities from 2016 to 2020.